Monday, June 19, 2017

"The Seven Line Prayer: A Course in Calligraphy, Syntax and Meaning" Taught by Giorgio Dallorto

Shang Shung Institute presents Calligraphy with Giorgio Dallorto - "The Seven Line Prayer: A Course in Calligraphy, Syntax and Meaning."

The course will take place in the Tsegyalgar East Library, 18 Schoolhouse Rd., Conway, MA 01341 on June 20th, 21st and 22nd, 2017 from 6:30pm to 8:30pm nightly.

Cost: By Donation, suggested donation $20 per session. Please contact  Anna Bartenstein at akfb@aol.com to register.

This calligraphy course is on the Seven Line Prayer to Padmasambhava, studying the Uchen calligraphy and syntax of the words. It is also suitable for people who have not studied Tibetan. We will also study the meaning of the verses.

Participants should bring an exercise book, possibly with lines or squares to help with the dimensions of the calligraphy, and a pen, preferably for calligraphy, or with a broad nib.













Giorgio Dallorto
Born in Piedmonte in 1953, in my youth due to an interest in yoga, I became interested in Tibetan Buddhism and Himalayan Culture in general. This brought me to meet my future and main teacher, Chögyal Namkhai Norbu in the summer of 1978. In the beginning of the 80s I spent a few years traveling in India and Nepal, visiting the main Tibetan settlements, with the scope of deepening my knowledge of their cultural and artistic heritage. In the 90s I started to collaborate with the International Dzogchen Community working actively for Merigar in many different roles: blue and yellow gakyil member, geko, manager of the Merishop, consultant for SSI, etc. Over the last 20 years, I have dedicated myself in a free and independent way to the in-depth study of Tibetan history and culture and, in particular, the arts, deepening my knowledge of Tibetan painting and bronzes of the past and today. Over the last five years, I have been studying Tibetan language under the direction of Prof. Fabian Sanders with the Ka-ter project of the SSF, giving particular attention to the study of the different styles of Tibetan calligraphy. I have collaborated with the international magazine, The Mirror, and the Merigar magazine, writing different articles for them about history, art, and spiritual biographies of Tibetan masters.



No comments: