Sunday, April 27, 2014

An Interview with Tashi Mannox, Visiting Artist at Shang Shung Institute Reprinted from the Mirror


Tashi was in residence for a Tibetan calligraphy course here at Tsegyalgar East April 4-6, 2014 co-sponsred by Shang Shung Institute and the 

Khandroling Paper Cooperative
Visit here for an article and slide show of the special weekend 
***
The following interview was conducted by Jacqueline Gens on April 7 2014  and transcribed and edited by Naomi Zeitz of The Mirror.

Jacqueline Gens: I think we would like to start with your life as a monk. How old you were when you became a monk?
Akong Rinpoche (left) and Tashi Mannox as monk  
Akong Rinpoche (left) and Tashi Mannox as monk

Tashi Mannox: I had just turned 22, quite young. Akong Rinpoche suggested it. I had wanted to become a monk since one of my first encounters with Tibetan Lamas on a family holiday in the Mid-South of France at one of the first Buddhist centers in Europe. I met these old wizened lamas and they were really great with us as kids. I was around 11 years old or something like that and I was really inspired by them. They were really kind and very wise and quite simply I thought, “Well I want to grow up and be like that.” I looked at my own parents and other adults and they just seemed to be quite neurotic compared to the monks. The monks were happy. So that was my motivation. A happy life. I loved the way they looked. Whenever I would see them I would kind of pull at their top robe and wrap it around myself.

To read more visit the Mirror NEW online publication here. 

No comments: